Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A reminder

The past few days have been tiring and trying. I'm working on potty-training Quinn - it's slow going but we've made some progress. Then yesterday, I went to put him down for a nap (generally a non-issue) and he had a full-blown tantrum. I thought he'd resign himself to the fact and lay down and go to sleep, but he didn't. To make it worse, his yells went from angry to afraid. I could just tell something was wrong. I opened the door to his room, and lo and behold he had one leg over the top of the crib and was stuck that way... trying to escape. Thankfully he is not small and agile, or he would have toppled right over the side and onto the floor. So I spent the rest of the afternoon looking for big boy beds online, on the phone, etc. I guess I am in denial that he is nearly 2 1/2.

So anyhoo... it was a long, difficult day... and I was feeling kind of mopey that my baby is not so much a baby anymore.

This morning was a little crazy as well. I had a pta meeting, some errands to run, and I had planned to go to Conor's book fair at school at 11am. I forgot to remind him as he left this morning that I would be there. So at 10:55, I went to the media center and waited for his class to come in. When I saw him walk in, I could tell that he had been crying - not red-faced, puffy, hysterical crying - but he was teary and just sad-looking. When he saw me, he ran over with a HUGE smile and threw his arms around my waist. Apparently, he thought I had forgotten about the book fair because I didn't mention it to him this morning and he was sad because he assumed I wouldn't be there.

Even though I hate that he was worried for even five minutes that I'd be a no-show, it was a nice reminder that even my nearly eight year old needs and wants his mom still...

No comments: