Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

In our family, we have a habit of stretching out holidays. It all started with my mom's 28th birthday (okay, not quite 28 but since she's only 38 now, we'll go with that - wink wink)... Conor was only about 7 mos old and the two of us flew up to Columbus from Atlanta to celebrate - which became a weeklong celebration affectionately referred to as birthday week.

Birthday weeks have continued in our family. In fact, we're planning on celebrating my nephew Zach's 4th birthday almost 3 weeks after his "real" birthday, which means he gets birthday weeks this summer... why not!?!

So for me, mother's day was a whole weekend. It started with muffins with mom in Conor's class on Friday morning, then Riley proudly brought home a beautiful ceramic heart she painted at school and a card, Friday night Josh took the kids out to dinner and to Dick's to climb the climbing wall (as a side-note, both Conor and Riley climbed and did awesome and LOVED it!)... I went out with a girlfriend to an open house party and then for sushi/red wine. Perfect. Saturday we had a soccer game (Riley) and baseball game (Conor) and then went out to dinner. Sunday, Josh made a huge breakfast, I wore my new running gear (I got running tanks, shorts, socks, a visor) out for a long run by myself, and then we spent the afternoon just hanging out. Josh made shrimp, chicken, and beef skewers for dinner on the grill along with corn on the cob and goat cheese stuffed sweet peppers. Seriously, this weekend was heaven. I hope every mother's day becomes mother's day weekend. :)

And on a sappy note, we did "cheers" tonight at dinner in honor of mother's day, and I told the kids every day is mother's day for me. I couldn't be any luckier.

No comments: