Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The lazy days of summer

I tried my best. The goal was not to over-schedule us this summer. I couldn't wait for long, quiet, lazy days... wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong, it's been a wonderful summer - fun, HOT, but lazy - not so much. In the few weeks since we've been out of school, we've already been on one vacation - Hilton Head - and we leave in two days for trip 2 - to Ohio. Trip 3 is the last weekend in July - Austin, TX, where Conor and Riley are both in Aunt Christy's wedding. And in between, well - fun, but definitely not lazy. Here is a sample. I get up at 5:30 and run. Somewhere after that begins everyone waking up, wanting breakfast, needing reminders to brush teeth, etc. Today we had swim lessons from 8:30-9am, went straight to Target afterwards, then home to pack the cooler, met the Hasslers at the pool at 11am for swimming, lunch, general summer fun. Home at 1:30. Phone rings - playdate for Conor. Quickly change children out of swimsuits and into dry clothes. Drive Conor to his playdate - Riley is now crying, also wants a playdate. Try three friends - no one is home. In moment of desperation, promise to let her do easy bake oven while Quinn naps (desperation!). Put Quinn down from nap, try to unload car filled with wet swimming towels, etc. while Riley is following me around asking "when can we do easy bake oven?", or something along those lines, every few seconds in my ear. We bake sugar cookies. They are terrible but I still have to eat one and tell her they are delicious. Try to work and get things a few things done. Crap, it's 4pm, time to pick up Conor. Must wake Quinn up from nap - he's not happy. Load Quinn and Riley into car, grab Conor, come home. Josh calls - will be late. Of course, simultaneously, a chorus of "I'm hungry" begins in the background. Chips and salsa for everyone. Josh suggests we meet for dinner at 6:30 - well that's one plus, now I don't have to cook. But I have dirty, chlorine-filled children who I now must bathe. Everyone is clean, everyone is downstairs playing. And here I am, 5:44pm, hungry, tired, thinking maybe tomorrow will be somehow lazier... yea right.

No comments: